The application called Business of Your Brain was downloaded and run against my existing Microsoft Outlook Inbox to arrive at those numbers. For the Record, my outbound messages are averaging 849 per month. Not sure yet if the incoming to outgoing ratio is good or bad.
In the last month of the year, a concentrated effort will be made to clean up InBox, and to organize the messages to be useful further down the road. Below are my tips on cleaning up your mailbox as we head into the last month of the year and start fresh in 2012. Remember that you are the Human in the relationship and need to take control of the situation.
- Follow the 4-D Formula. Do it Now, Decide when to do it, Delegate it, Delete it
- Unsubscribe from every Spam Bot email list that you are on. Do you really need to get weekly updates on sales at the Adidas Outlet, the daily update from Groupon, or weekly Tech Tips from Information Week?
- Take 5 minutes a day and a week to scroll through your Inbox and find messages that you no longer need
- Pick a date in time in the past and permanently delete files from your trash
- Create a personal folder and move needed emails to a personal folder. Directions for creating a PST for the Microsoft Outlook client can be found here
Follow these simple ideas and you will have a clean looking Inbox. Please remember to check with your local IT Staff to make sure they are in agreement with these concepts before implementing.