Very often, customers have to make a decision as to whether they purchase an inkjet plotter or a toner/laser printer for their large format printing needs.
There are several questions to consider:
- What is your budget? – Very good quality inkjet plotters can be purchased for as little as $4,000.00, which includes assembly, testing, delivery, installation, and training. In addition, most of the inkjet plotters come with a full one-year warranty.
- Do you need to print color? – Color is becoming very relevant in today’s printing world. However, color can be done on both inkjet & toner/laser printers these days. Keep in mind that color on a toner/laser machine is a relatively expensive option versus color on an inkjet plotter.
- Scanning capabilities? – Do you need the ability to scan hard-copy drawings to a digital file for archiving/emailing and/or the ability to make copies of existing hard copy drawings? Inkjet plotters can have a scanner added to them for a full digital system that includes walk-up copying and scanning to a digital file. That cost is approximately $4,000.00. Toner/laser printers come complete, in most cases, with a scanner for doing walk-up copying and scanning to digital files.
- Performance and speed: – Inkjet plotters will print one ‘D’ size print every 40 seconds or so. Toner/laser printers will print anywhere from 3 – 22 ‘D’ size copies per minute.
- Service costs: – Inkjet plotters come with a one-year warranty. Additional service is approximately $50.00/month after the first year. Toner/laser equipment comes with a 90-day warranty and will cost approximately $100.00/month, depending on your usage.
- Consumable costs: – KIP toner-based printers are 100% toner efficient and cost approximately $0.009/square foot for toner. Paper is approximately $0.018/square foot. Inkjet plotters are approximately $0.05/square foot for ink. Paper is approximately $0.018/square foot.
- Floor space: – In today’s market, the equipment, whether it’s inkjet or toner/laser, occupies approximately the same amount of floor space regardless of which option you go with.
- Stacking: – The latest inkjet now has a “stacker shelf” that will stack up to 20 drawings, whereas the majority of inkjets only have a “basket” to catch the prints. With the toner/laser equipment, you have a variety of stackers to choose from that will stack anywhere from hundreds to thousands of prints. Much of the toner/laser printers today have efficient, space-saving integrated stackers that will stack up to 50 drawings.
- $4,000.00 all-in for a fully installed brand new 36” plotter
- Great quality on color photos, rendering, banners, etc.
- Color and/or black & white output for same low price
- Reduced maintenance costs at approximately $50.00/month
- 12-month warranty
- Ink is about 7 times more expensive than toner
- Slower at 1 – 2 ‘D’ size/minute
- Not waterproof
- Fades in light
- Very fast at 3 – 22 ‘D’ size/minute
- Very efficient stacking options
- Waterproof & lightfast
- Very inexpensive toner at $0.009/square foot
- Much quicker/more efficient scanning
- Larger initial investment at $10,000.00 – $30,000.00
- Maintenance costs are greater at approximately $100.00/month
- Shorter warranty period (90 days)
At BPI Inc, we strive to market the best mix of products and services to you, our valued client.
BPI features KIP wide format digital printers and scanners. KIP offers a diverse product line for all printing requirements and for all budgets. In an effort to continue to bring the best products to the market place, we would like your input. We intend to take this info to our vendor in an effort to make the best equipment on the market.
In the past, this has been very successful based on the strong relationship BPI has with KIP. BPI is one of the few Blue Ribbon dealers across the country. When BPI takes your suggestions to KIP, KIP listens.
Consider the “page” to be blank. What would you like to see in your digital scanner/printer system? How would you improve your KIP device? More rolls? More speed? What features are important to you? What improvements would you like to see in the software? For example, ease of operation, deleting “jobs,” printing PDFs, or printing from AutoCAD?
Your comments are important to us. We value your input.
Please click on the “Leave a Comment” below to enter your suggestions.
As discussed in a previous issue of our blog, How Long will my Printer Last?, it was determined that it can be for a variety of reasons. Now that you have reached that decision that NOW is the time, you have to choose what BRAND of printer is best for you.
BPI has been in the service business for many years and worked on a variety of different brands of equipment. Truth be told there are pro’s and con’s for all the different manufacturers. There is not one super machine.
There used to be three major “players” in the wide format market. KIP, Oce, and Xerox for toner based units. For inkjet printers, HP and Canon. For the purpose of this article we are focusing on the toner based large format printers.
Xerox announced earlier this year that they are discontinuing sales of the wide format engineering printers and scanners. This is their complete product line. Please click on the link for a related news story regarding this. http://www.action-intell.com/2011/03/09/xerox-will-no-longer-sell-wide-format-equipment-in-north-america
So now basically you have only two choices – KIP and Oce. We at BPI have chosen to market the KIP brand. It is a high quality printer with a broad range of products for all your printing and scanning needs. KIP offers printers to fit any size business and any copy volume from the low 5 to 10 prints a day to the demanding needs of a High Volume production copy shop such as our own. KIP comes in a variety of printing speeds and price ranges to fit any budget.
The KIP software is user friendly with its many features and functions that are necessary in today’s business climate. KIP constantly keeps its product line fresh with the latest innovations in printing and scanning technology while continually updating the software to keep up with the demands of the CAD world.
The quality of the prints are amazing along with the affordable cost of operation. We at BPI service what we sell and offer complete comprehensive service packages or just on time and material service on a as needed basis. This along with our FM Plans complete a full array of options. We also take pride in our fast response time. Most calls are handled within 24 hours or less.